What is Feature
Glossary > Feature
💬 Definition of Feature:
Refers to in-depth, comprehensive content typically encountered in a magazine, newspaper, or online platform. Distinguished from news articles or opinion pieces, features delve deeper into subjects, often exploring stories or ideas with a unique angle or perspective.
Features entertain, inform, and engage readers with rich, detailed narratives and thorough analyses of various topics.
Related questions to Feature:
What makes a feature unique?
A feature's distinguishing characteristics are its structure, tone, and content. Unlike a news article that follows a strict format and reports the facts, a feature article allows writers to showcase their creativity and storytelling abilities. Narratives may be character-driven, examining the personal journeys of individuals or groups. It might also focus on an event, trend, or subject that intrigues readers.
The tone of a feature article is often personal, with the writer's voice shining through. Additionally, features are generally longer than typical news articles, providing ample space for the writer to understand the subject matter, explore various viewpoints, and create a vivid, immersive reading experience.
How to write a compelling feature?
- Choose an interesting topic: Select a subject that will captivate your audience, whether it's an inspiring human-interest story, an in-depth analysis of a relevant trend, or a unique angle on a well-known topic.
- Research thoroughly: Collect as much information as possible about your subject. This may involve interviewing experts or individuals involved in the story, gathering statistics, and examining primary and secondary sources.
- Develop a narrative structure: Plan out the outline of your feature, determining how the story will unfold. A feature should have a strong opening to catch readers' attention, a well-developed middle section that explores the subject, and a satisfying conclusion that ties everything together.
- Use descriptive language: Employ vivid language and sensory details to paint a picture for your readers, enabling them to visualize the story and feel emotionally connected to the subject.
- Edit and polish: Review your work, ensuring it flows smoothly and is free of grammatical errors or inconsistencies. Refine your writing to create a polished, professional piece that will captivate your audience.
Publish and distribute your books to hundreds of stores worldwide in ebook, print or audio formats.