Glossary > Unique Selling Proposition
💬 Definition of Unique Selling Proposition:
A unique selling proposition (USP) refers to a book or author's distinctive feature or benefit that sets it apart from other books or authors in the same genre or category. It makes the book or author unique and appealing to potential readers.
Related questions about a unique selling proposition:
What elements can constitute a unique selling proposition?
One can identify the USP in various factors:
- the author's credentials
- the book's topic or genre
- the writing style
- the format or packaging
- the marketing strategy
For example, a young adult novel with a fresh and unconventional style could have a USP of "a bold and innovative new voice in young adult fiction."
Why is a unique selling proposition important in the publishing industry?
Identifying a book's USP is essential for publishers and authors to market and sell the book.
Here are several reasons why a book's USP is important:
- Differentiation: In an industry with thousands of new books published every year, having a USP can help a book stand out from the crowd.
- Targeted marketing: A USP helps publishers and authors create a marketing strategy with a specific target audience in mind.
- Branding: A strong USP help to build a publisher or author's brand. Readers will then make connections between a certain brand and an author or publisher.
- Sales: A USP can help to drive sales. By communicating the unique benefits of a book, publishers and authors can create a sense of value in the minds of readers, leading to more sales.
How to write a USP?
Having your USP written down can help with book promotion. You will always have the one thing that makes your book different at hand.
To find your own USP, ask yourself these questions:
- What is the core message or theme of my story?
- What distinguishes my story from others in the same category or genre?
- How does my story offer a unique perspective for readers?
- What would motivate readers to choose my story over a popular bestseller?
Publish and distribute your books to hundreds of stores worldwide in ebook, print or audio formats.