Glossary > Young Adult Literature
💬 Definition of Young Adult Literature:
Young Adult (YA) is a literature genre for teenagers and young adults, typically between the ages of 12 to 18. It has stories that are often coming-of-age tales and deal with themes relevant to young adults, such as self-discovery, identity, love, relationships, and social issues.
Related questions about young adult literature:
What are the characteristics of young adult literature?
- Perspective: YA literature features protagonists who are teenagers or young adults, and the narrative is usually written from their perspective.
- Themes: The stories may be set in real or fantasy worlds and may include elements of romance, adventure, science fiction, suspense, or historical fiction. It can also deal with various social issues, such as mental health, sexuality, discrimination, and social justice. The themes and issues explored in YA literature can help young readers develop empathy, critical thinking skills, and a deeper understanding of the world around them.
- Age-appropriate: Since YA literature targets readers between the ages of 12 and 18, the writing is always age-appropriate.
- Entertainment: Besides the lesson young adults get from this genre, YA literature can also be entertaining, making it a popular genre among both young adults and adults.
What is the writing style of young adult literature?
The writing style of YA literature is accessible and easy to read, focusing on character development and relatable experiences.
What are a few examples of young adult literature?
Here are some popular examples of young adult literature:
- Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
- Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- Divergent series by Veronica Roth
- The Maze Runner series by James Dashner
- To All the Boys I've Loved Before trilogy by Jenny Han
- The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan
- The Selection series by Kiera Cass
- Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Publish and distribute your books to hundreds of stores worldwide in ebook, print or audio formats.